Villa La Valle Antica
Sicily - Modica
Villa La Valle Antica – Modica – Sicily Coast
7 Bedrooms – Hot-tub - Pool
Location and Surrounding Area
Villa La Valle Antica occupies a commanding position of rare beauty on a stony spur overlooking the suggestive remains of the Castello Sicano area and the Cava d'Ispica (ancient Ispica Quarry). The Cava d'Ispica is a rocky river valley less than half a kilometre wide and running from the towns of Modica to Ispica. The valley stretches 13 km through suggestive Mediterranean vegetation and is almost 100 metres deep at certain points. It is a Site of Community Importance (SCI) and contains numerous places of archaeological importance. The prehistoric necropolis of Calicantone is within easy reach of the house via stone steps leading down into the valley and dates from the Early/Middle Bronze Age (2200 – 1400 B.C.). There are hundreds of graves dug into the cliff faces and most of the graves are decorated with pillars, columns and ledges. The Cava d'Ispica also offers Paleo-Christian catacombs, the remains of the Sicano Castle and the Fortilitium, cave paintings from the Byzantine age in the San Nicola Cave and various monastic hermitages.
The historical town of Modica, with its views across to the coast of Africa, is only 10 km away and is on the UNESCO World Heritage list. Modica is famous for its exceptional cuisine and its art and folklore. The nearest restaurants, pizzerias and shopping centres are about 5 km from the house. The closest beach is Pozzallo at 15 km away and the property is also within easy driving distance of the beaches of Sampieri, San Lorenzo and Cala Moshe and also the natural oasis of Vendicari. The coastal town of Portopalo di Capo Passero and the charming baroque towns of Ragusa, Scicli and Noto are less than 30 km away. The larger towns of Siracusa and Catania can easily be reached via the main road. Catania international airport is 115 km away and Comiso airport only 45 km.
The Property. The house was originally built in 1954 to house the sharecroppers and peasants who were still living in the nearby caves at that time. It has been recently restored using the natural local stone and wood so typical of the houses in the area and can comfortably accommodate up to 18 people. There are six bedrooms and each has a private entrance, bathroom, air conditioning, mini-bar and LCD TV. There are five rooms on the ground floor and one room on the lower floor and all of these rooms are separate and non-communicating. The lounge area and the dining room are also on the lower floor and are connected to a fully equipped kitchen. There is free Wi-Fi internet throughout the house and a tempting swimming pool for those long, hot, drowsy Sicilian summer afternoons. At a small surcharge, guests can use the hot tub located just a couple of metres from the cliff edge and overlooking the valley. The sunny area around the pool and the grassy lawns are equipped with sun loungers where guests are invited to appreciate the qualities of so-called slow living. The villa is also available for weddings and private parties.
- 1 Quadruple bedroom
- 2 Triple bedrooms
- 3 Double bedrooms
- 1 Baby cot available on request
- 6 Bathrooms
- Small additional bathroom with washing machine
- Independent studio/double bedroom by the swimming pool
- Fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher, oven, microwave, fridge, freezer, coffee maker, toaster, kettle
- Sitting room with TV
- Air conditioning
- Heating (at extra coast)
- Private swimming pool (May - October) with sunbeds, deckchairs, umbrellas and gazebo
- Outdoor hot tub for maximum 3 people (€ 5 for 20 minutes)
- Outdoor barbecue area with chairs, tables, sofa and armchair
- Ample outdoor parking
- Cooking classes, Hatha yoga, Pilates, massages, guided tours, babysitting and cooking services are all available on request
- One complete set of bed and bath linen per week included
- Water consumption included
- Final cleaning service is included (mid stay cleaning on request at extra coast)
- 300 kwh electricity included
- Pets not allowed
* Please note: the included amenities may vary according to final agreement, make sure to check your contract for complete list.
Please Contact us to verify your dates.