Umbria - Migiana di Monte Tezio - Perugia
Tenuta dei Merli – Villa Rondine – Migiana di Monte Tezio - Umbria
6 Bedrooms – Heated Pool
Exclusive Country Estate in the centre of the Green Heart of Italy.
Location and Surrounding Area. Tenuta dei Merli has the unique advantage of being located in the very heart of Umbria, itself the most central region in Italy. It is a part of the country where tradition still reigns supreme - the simple pleasures of country living and genuine food combine with art, history and architecture, making this one of the most pleasant and relaxing regions to visit in the whole of Italy. Umbria is known as the ‘Green Heart of Italy’ due to the abundant woodland and forest that cover the region, and indeed there are few large urban centres and instead countless historical towns, villages and hamlets to discover.
The Etruscan city of Perugia, with its ancient walls dating back more than 2500 years, is the capital city of the region. A mere 20 minute drive from the Tenuta, the historical centre of Perugia is a delightful and surprisingly lively place to visit. Closed to traffic, it is a feast for the eyes, offering beautiful architecture and a wealth of cultural activities including important Renaissance art works, classical music, and the renowned Umbria Jazz and Eurochocolate festivals. Perugia is also home to two universities - the second oldest faculty in the country, and the University for Foreigners; so for most of the year it is milling with young people, filling the pedestrian streets, bars and restaurants.
Gubbio - the medieval town of Gubbio, which actually dates back to pre-Roman times, is a charming place spreading up a hillside and boasting some of the most impressive architecture in the entire region, including the stunning Palazzo Ducale, Piazza Grande and Palazzo dei Consoli complex, and the second largest Roman Amphitheatre still in existence. The town is affectionately known as the ‘city of fools’ and indeed it is possible to get a ‘fool’s licence’ by running three times around of its fountains. The patron Saint of Gubbio, Sant’Ubaldo, is a particularly important figure who is celebrated every year at the ‘Corsa dei Ceri’ a frenetic race up the hillside between the strongest members of the town’s different districts carrying enormous wooden ‘ceri’, or candles. This ancient celebration is famous all over the country and very much worth seeing.
Assisi – the home of Italy’s national saint – Francis of Assisi - Assisi is the one of world’s most important pilgrimage destinations, and a UNESCO World Heritage site. Of course the Basilica, containing works dedicated to the Saint by artists of the calibre of Giotto, Cimabue, Andrea da Bologna and Simone Martini, is essential visiting; but Assisi is also an architectural wonder with its atmospheric medieval streets and hilltop castle.
Lake Trasimeno – Italy’s fourth largest lake, covering a surface area of 128 square kilometres, Lake Trasimeno is famous as the scene of the second Punic War, when the Carthaginians under Hannibal defeated the Romans in 217 BC. The lake includes two charming little islands which are open to the public and the ancient little fortified towns of Passignano sul Trasimeno, Castiglione del Lago, San Feliciano and Panicale.
Other spectacular hilltop towns include Cortona and Preggio, the latter with its annual classical music festival, as well as the annual Montone Film Festival which attracts an international audience.
For nature lovers, the Estate provides marked trails for hikers to follow, leading through some of the most breath-taking scenery in Umbria and where it is not unusual to spot wildlife such as wild boar, deer and a vast array of birdlife. The more intrepid hiker wanting to visit the hill tops is rewarded by stunning views of Perugia and Lake Trasimeno.
Getting there – the Estate is 35 km from the International Airport of Perugia/Assisi; 2 hours’ drive from the airport of Florence and 2.5 hours from the International airport of Rome, Fiumicino. The historical towns of Perugia (21 km), Assisi (51 km), Gubbio (41 km) and Siena (108 km) are all within easy reach of the Estate.
The Property. The Estate dei Merli is one of the most exclusive private country estates in Italy, owned by the same family for generations. Renowned for its thousands of hectares of immaculate woods and olive groves, and for its superb valleys, lakes and rivers, it is the perfect place for a relaxing and tranquil holiday, offering impressive levels of comfort and elegance. The Estate offers a wide selection of possibilities for its guests: five luxury villas, including three charming apartments and two romantic cottages; all elegantly furnished and offering superior levels of comfort.
Villa Rondine. Surely the most spectacular element of this villa is its lush garden with more than 3,000 plants that bloom at different times of the year giving a wonderful display of colours that change with the seasons. Villa Rondine can accommodate up to 12 guests in the main villa and in the elegant cottage close by in the gardens. The cottage at Villa Rondine is a little jewel in the enchanting garden at Villa. As well as the king-size bedroom and en-suite bathroom there is a charming living room with small kitchen and dining table. Just outside the cottage, there is the perfect spot to sit and enjoy a drink at sunset.
- Accommodation sleeping up to 52 guests in 5 villas, apartments and cottages
- Five infinity swimming pools
- Acres of private landscaped gardens
- Central heating and air conditioning
- 18-hole golf course
- Wellness, yoga and pilates services on site (on request)
- Maid, chef and butler services
- Cooking classes and wine tasting
- Cradle, child’s high chair and baby bathtub (on request)
- Babysitting service on request
- Guided tours on request
- Transfers on request
Amenities of Villa Rondine:
- Three king-size double bedrooms, each with en-suite bathroom
- Two twin bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms
- One king-size bedroom with en-suite bathroom in the cottage
- A well-equipped kitchen complete with dishwasher, oven, two fridges and microwave oven
- Spacious laundry room with washing machine, iron and ironing board
- Large LCD TV with Sky Italia television and sports channels, Blue Ray and DVD player
- iPod docking station
- High speed Wi-Fi internet access throughout the villa, garden and pool area
- Air conditioning
- Hairdryers in every bathroom
- Central heating (on request and subject to separate payment)
- The cottage has a stove, fridge, an LCD TV with sports channels, a DVD player, hairdryer, high speed Wi-Fi internet access and air conditioning
- Luxury heated private pool (7m x 15m) finished in luscious mosaic
- Sun-beds, chairs and parasols available around the pool
- Lovely panoramic pergola by the cottage with dining table seating 12
- Charming outdoor wooden table in front of the kitchen, perfect for breakfast, seating eight
- Armchairs and outdoor sofa with parasol in front of the living room of the main villa
- Romantic cocktail table with two armchairs in front of the cottage living room
- Private and fenced landscaped garden (10,000m)
- Table Tennis available for rental at a little extra price
* Please note: the included amenities may vary according to final agreement, make sure to check your contract for complete list.